[mythtv-users] What does Expire do?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jul 13 02:22:13 UTC 2007

On 07/12/2007 08:11 PM, Robert Current wrote:
> I think I need a way bigger hard drive....  But anyway...
>
> When a show expires, what happens to the data?  I would assume it just
> deletes it with a "delete and re-record" option, but....

Right.

> I noticed that after running auto-flag commercials or the delete
> commercials script, for some reason the shows get marked as viewed,

SVN trunk, right?  If so, I'm assuming you mean marked as "watched", right?

> even if I haven't watched them, which is odd.

If the assumptions above are correct, I'd say this is a bug (and a patch
would be appreciated ;).  The playback that's occurring for
flagging/transcoding should not trigger setting the watched flag.

However, I'd be really surprised if flagging actually causes this--since
I'm sure a /lot/ of people who have:

Automatically mark a record watched
If set, when you exit near the end of a recording it will be marked as
watched. The automatic detection is not foolproof, so do not enable this
setting if you don't want an unwatched recording marked as watched.

enabled also enable automatic commercial flagging, so I'd assume such a
bug would have been noticed by now.  Transcoding's causing the watched
flag to be set, on the other hand, could go unnoticed for quite some time.

>   So I was just worried
> that it might be assuming that I've seen it, and it deletes the files
> with out the "re-record" option?

In SVN trunk, there's an option:

Re-record watched programs
If set, programs that have been marked as watched and are auto-expired
will be re-recorded if they are shown again.

So...

Mike