[mythtv-users] [OT] Re: Best Remote?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Jul 11 20:08:53 UTC 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 12:53 PM, Chad wrote:

>> I have an old 810 where the buttons had become hard to press.  Seems
>> almost like the conductive part of the rubber has become less
>> conductive.  Can this be fixed?
>>
>> Calvin...
>
> Sadly, while searching for info on mine a while back I saw this is
> "what happens" as they age.  Pretty much means that your remote is
> close to having lived it's life.  At least short of cracking the case
> and probably soldering some new connectors.

I don't have experience with that particular remote, but my
experience with other remotes is that this is often due to finger
oils, coke spills, etc. getting into the keypad.  My usual fix is to
remove the batteries, disassemble the remote, and clean the circuit
board and rubber keypad in soapy water.  Rinse well to remove all
traces of soap, blow dry with compressed air, then allow everything
to air dry overnight before reassembling.  Sometimes the results of
this treatment are amazing.  It's especially effective on remotes
with sticky buttons.