[mythtv-users] Rearranging my myth system architecture - thoughts on directions?

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 19:10:51 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Bruce H McIntosh <scotsman at afn.org> wrote:

> I've just upgraded the TV to that mondo pretty 55" Sony KDS-55A2020.
> Now it's time to consider what to do with the myth setup.

Bruce,

I like the concept of making a new Myth box that is a combo
frontend/backend.  There are several reasons for this.

   1. It allows you to keep your existing setup functional while you muck
   around with the new stuff.
   2. Having multiple backends provides some redundancy. (For example, if
   your old backend fails, you can re-create the mythconverg db on the new
   system and be back in operation quickly.)
   3. Adding two HD tuners to the existing backend may be too much for
   that old P3 hardware.

With a dualcore FX CPU, you should have plenty of horsepower to drive both
backend and frontend process without any problems.

I love my HDHomeRun. You may want to consider this option.

If you have another TV in your home, you may want to use the Shuttle box as
a second frontend.  Or, you may want to move your mythconverg database to
this box.  In any event, more boxes means more options - never a bad thing.

Tom