[mythtv-users] System melt down

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jul 10 23:40:07 UTC 2007

Damian wrote:
<snip>

> What would you suggest I do from here? Doesn't look good to me, but
> maybe it's not all lost yet. Not quite sure what's going on, but
> hopefully I've given enough information to either shed some light or get
> a couple of suggestions.

You should do exactly what it is telling you to do: run fsck manually.

But of course you have to get to a working shell and minimal system to
do that.

You could possibly boot from one of the live CDs, or one of the
pre-packaged rescue CDs like the "Ultimate Boot CD":

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

(site seems down right now though)

Unfortunately such preparations for a situation like this require either
another working machine or having made such a disk ahead of time.

Your MoBo's POST test is not happy, as indicated by the beep code. Most
MoBos have a list someplace (docs or online support) of precisely what
each beep code means.

I'm guessing you have a failed hard drive, can you get to the BIOS setup
screen, and does it show the hard drive(s) correctly?

If you can get fsck to run manually from a shell, I'd use the -y option,
or you will be typing "y" a LOT.

Good Luck.

BEWW