[mythtv-users] Configuring a linux-input layer remote without lirc?

Daniel Carter dantheperson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 19:04:52 UTC 2007

Hello,

I've got a KWorld PCI DVB card that came with a remote control that'd i'd
like to use with myth.

I spent many days trying to get this going under ubuntu 6.06LTS with lirc
but could never get sensible events out of lirc.

Now i'm giving it another go after a harddrive upgrade with ubuntu 7.04.  It
seems with the new remote control support added to the kernel these days 50%
of the keys are working straight out of the box :)

I'd like to configure the other half of the keys, and without messing about
with lirc if at all possible.  I have three problems to resolve, and none of
the existing documentation seems to be any help as it all assumes lirc is
needed for the remote to work.

1) Some of the keys generate X11 key symbols that are not mapped in myth
2) Some of the keys generate keycodes that are not mapped to X11 key
symbols.
3) Some of the keys do nothing.

First, an example of a key that works, there is a button on my remote that
looks like an enter key, and this works out of the box in myth as the enter
key. xev output shows:

KeyPress event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 7114733, (-84,38), root:(360,288),
    state 0x0, keycode 36 (keysym 0xff0d, Return), same_screen YES,
"   XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0d) "
"   XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0d) "
    XFilterEvent returns: False

Now, for problem 1, if i press the mute button, this generates the key
symbol XF86AudioMute.

KeyPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 7308633, (153,247), root:(360,288),
    state 0x0, keycode 160 (keysym 0x1008ff12, XF86AudioMute), same_screen
YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

I've tried adding this to the keyboard mapping in mythweb, saved, and
restarted the frontend, but the mute button does nothing.  How can i make
myth respond to the "XF86AudioMute" key?

For problem 2, i get this xev output:

KeyPress event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 4101920, (177,-26), root:(360,288),
    state 0x0, keycode 177 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

I should be able to figure out how to map a keycode to a key symbol from the
X docs unless anyone has other suggestions?

For problem 3, xev simply outputs nothing, as though i hadn't even pressed
the key. Any ideas on this one?

If i can just solve problem 1, this should allow me to get enough keys for a
pretty usable remote, getting it all going would be much better...

TIA,
dan.

Hardware is:

00:14.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and
Audio Decoder (rev 05)
        Subsystem: KWorld Computer Co. Ltd. KWorld/VStream XPert DVB-T
        Memory at e6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2

00:14.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio
Decoder [MPEG Port] (rev 05)
        Subsystem: KWorld Computer Co. Ltd. KWorld/VStream XPert DVB-T
        Memory at e7000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2