[mythtv-users] System melt down

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 22:56:56 UTC 2007

On 7/9/07, Christopher X. Candreva <chris at westnet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Damian Surr wrote:
>
> > Thanks for that Brian. Is there any way of testing the PSU out before
> > spending on a new piece of kit?
>
> Generally I like to swap parts with a working computer. Of course you have
> to make sure you don't end up with 2 busted computers .

I have had to do that a few times at work. I recommend first removing all
unnecessary cards from the busted machine. Then test. If it does not work
disconnect hard drive. If it still does not work disconnect cdrom/dvd. If
that does not work then test the power supply by using a known working
supply in the busted box. If that does not work take the memory from the
busted box and put it in a working machine of the same type. If all is well
there replace the memory in the busted box. Then do the same with the
processor of the busted box. If that works in the good box than your
motherboard is bad otherwise it is a bad processor.

John