[mythtv-users] Problems with PVR-500 - Massive instability?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jul 8 00:55:13 UTC 2007

Christopher Robbins wrote:
> According to the Power Supply Calculator here -
>
> http://www.journeysystems.com/?powercalc
>
> I only need around 263 watts (this assumes about 5 watts/card).  I've got
> a 450 watt power supply, so even if the card used 50 watts/card, I still
> should be
> in good shape.

Pay careful attention to the second paragraph of that link. It makes
some good points.

I love it when I see ad for something like "600 watt power supply: $12.95".

You get what you pay for, and a PSU is one of the first things that
system builders will skimp on.

> I read somewhere about VIA chipsets and the PVR-500...Maybe this is part of
> the problem?

Possible, not as likely as a PS problem, IMHO. There were some problems
that resulted in system lockups, but I think they were primarily with
much older chipsets.

BEWW