[mythtv-users] Sat receiver and HD Question

Mike Grusin mgrusin at flyingcircuits.com
Sat Jul 7 15:26:12 UTC 2007

> But why go through the hassle of writing a Linux driver?  If you really,
> really, really want to capture HD video, then accept the fact that a
> $1000 card + a Windows box + drivers that come with the card ==
> DirectShow.

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure that Microsoft denies the use of their API to
stream off content for third-party use (storage, editing, or display) due to
their DRM policies.  I've seen several software packages substantially
downgrade their capabilities because of this.  I'm not saying that someone
coudn't program up the above win-based HD source, but any official effort
would likely get a C&D letter.

-Mike G.