[mythtv-users] EPG info to become available for Australia?

John jbd at pbptech.com
Sat Jul 7 01:13:53 UTC 2007

I used to used tv_grab_au, but have since moved to using Shepherd. It is
fantstic. I uses several sources and even grabs desriptions from imdb, tv.com
etc.

http://svn.whuffy.com/

# Shepherd
Shepherd provides reliable, high-quality guide data for Australian free-to-
air TV and Pay TV channels by employing a flock of independent grabbers and
data sources.

 #Background
Australians have traditionally had two options for acquiring TV guide data:
   1. Downloading pre-compiled data from a service like IceTV or OzTivo
   2. Using a tv_grab_au script to read data from a web site like
ninemsn.com.au

Each method has drawbacks. The quality of pre-compiled data varies, while
tv_grab_au scripts tend to frequently break. Shepherd aims to solve the
traditional problems of tv_grab_au scripts:
   1. It employs multiple TV guide grabbers and data sources, switching
between them as necessary when one fails
   2. It auto-updates, eliminating the need for users to manually address
problems

Very nice.