[mythtv-users] Guide Idea - Would You Trade Viewing Statistics (Privacy) for Guide Data?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jul 6 17:26:31 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2007, at 5:09 AM, Jake Vickers wrote:
>> Me personally? I don't care of they know I watch Mythbusters,
>> House, and
>> How It's Made, and that my wife records Britcoms and the Starter
>> Wife.... As long as I can still record them.
>
> I agree.  Actually, in a way I'd see it as a good thing.  If TV
> networks know what shows I like, maybe they'll be more likely to keep
> them around instead of scheduling more stuff I hate. ;)

TV is a strange business, as those why pay the bills are not the
consumers of the product.

What counts is not "what you like", but rather what the sponsor
perceives  will give him the most "bang for the buck".

Unfortunately, the average MythTV user is above average in intelligence,
and generally has far better taste than the "average" viewer. To put it
another way, there are far more stupid idiots in the world than smart
people, and sponsors need to cater to the majority, and the lowest
common denominator.

I suspect that even if each and every MythTV user reported precise
preferences on content, and every programming executive was totally
aware of that information, it would make not one whit of difference in
what's on TV.

It's also the case that garbage programming is far cheaper than decent
stuff, often not only costing a station nothing but actually being given
to them for free, in exchange for running the "self-integrated"
commercials. In the case of network programming the station is actually
paid to run the programming, and "programs" are simply to fill up the
space between commercials, and maintain a certain program/ad ratio.

It's like a newspaper, where the size of each day's edition is
determined by how much advertising has been sold, and "news" is added
only to keep the news/ad ratio high enough to maintain the second class
mailing permit.

Both TV and other media are advertising machines, not news or
entertainment vehicles, the ultimate goal being simply to make money.
Desirable programming is aired only to increase ratings, and thus
advertising rates.

Once you understand that, a lot of what seems odd makes perfect sense.

It sucks, but it's true.

BEWW