[mythtv-users] DVB-S, CAMs and MythTV

Andrew Lyon andrew.lyon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 22:55:15 UTC 2007

On 7/3/07, Joel Michael <joel at gimps-r-us.com> wrote:
> I'm about to start an experiment using MythTV.  I've got my DVB-T setup
> to a point where it does everything I want it to, but now I'd like to
> add DVB-S to the mix.  To make things a little more interesting, I'm
> subscribing to a Pay TV service (SelecTV in Australia).
>
> So, I've got 2 questions, which will determine exactly how I'm going to
> feed my new pay tv subscription to Myth.
>
> Firstly, does MythTV support DVB-S (yes) with encryption (not sure)?

Yes.

> Secondly, I know that SelecTV uses Irdeto 2 encryption.  I know I need
> to buy a DVB-S card with a CI slot, and I need to buy a CAM.  Does
> anyone have a working combination of these two for Irdeto 2 encryption?
>   For the DVB-S card, I'm looking at either a Technotrend S-1500 (with
> CI expansion) or a TwinhanDTV Sat-CI.  I've heard some bad things about
> the Twinhan, but it is a lot easier for me to buy.  As for the CAM, I
> have no idea - I guess something from dvbshop.net that says Irdeto.

I use Technotrend S-1500 CI + Cam, it works ok, sometimes have to
restart backend when the stream locks up but that happens much less
often with newer versions of myth.

I am very happy with it, really want to get dvb-s2 but i dont think it
works with myth yet...

I am not using Irdeto 2, so cant help with the cam question i'm afraid.

Andy