[mythtv-users] DVB-S, CAMs and MythTV

Joel Michael joel at gimps-r-us.com
Tue Jul 3 22:43:43 UTC 2007

I'm about to start an experiment using MythTV.  I've got my DVB-T setup
to a point where it does everything I want it to, but now I'd like to
add DVB-S to the mix.  To make things a little more interesting, I'm
subscribing to a Pay TV service (SelecTV in Australia).

So, I've got 2 questions, which will determine exactly how I'm going to
feed my new pay tv subscription to Myth.

Firstly, does MythTV support DVB-S (yes) with encryption (not sure)?

Secondly, I know that SelecTV uses Irdeto 2 encryption.  I know I need
to buy a DVB-S card with a CI slot, and I need to buy a CAM.  Does
anyone have a working combination of these two for Irdeto 2 encryption?
  For the DVB-S card, I'm looking at either a Technotrend S-1500 (with
CI expansion) or a TwinhanDTV Sat-CI.  I've heard some bad things about
the Twinhan, but it is a lot easier for me to buy.  As for the CAM, I
have no idea - I guess something from dvbshop.net that says Irdeto.