[mythtv-users] Downscaling HD Content on 480i

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Tue Jul 3 17:24:39 UTC 2007

> I kinda suspect the PVR-350 too. I'll have to try playing the recordings
> again
> and see what pops up in the logs. My last attempts are buried too deep
> right now.

The problem is not that you don't have enough processor power to decode the
video frames.  The problem is with your PVR-350.  In a nutshell, the PVR-350
wasn't designed to handle such large video frames, thus, it doesn't have
enough memory to scale the video in hardware and bombs out.  You'll want to
upgrade to something that can handle both HD and SD, that should have enough
memory to do the scaling on the hardware.

There is nothing about your CPU, memory, hard disk, sound card, or most any
other component that is causing this.  It is 100% the fault of the decoder
of the PVR-350 which cannot handle anything beyond the maximum resolution of
SDTV.

--Patrick