[mythtv-users] mythmusic alternatives

David Lonie loniedavid at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 16:48:31 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 03 July 2007 10:52, Robert Longbottom wrote:
> You have a "music server" app running on your mythbox.  This app has no
> user interface, but it knows about your music collection, holds your
> playlists, and can play music on your speakers.  This app runs 24/7 in the
> background.
>
> You then have multiple "frontends" - these front ends talk to the "music
> server" backend.  They can get lists of songs, start a song playing, stop
> a song playing, get status info (what is playing, etc), they can manage
> playlists.  The idea here is that you have a "MythMusicFrontend" that is
> nicely integrated with Myth, and a WebFrontend that allows you to
> start/stop/manage playlists from a remote laptop / pda / whatever via your
> network.

Look into mpd. That's what I use with qmpdclient as a front end. It's fast,
usable and if you have myth you've already got qt so this frontend (with some
visibility tweaks, etc) may be able to pop right in with the MythSuite. My
main complaints about mythmusic are how slow it is and how many steps are
involved to get a playlist.

Dave