[mythtv-users] Xbox MythTv with SVN trunk?

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Tue Jul 3 08:02:24 UTC 2007

> ikke <ikke at iki.fi>
>
> ikke,
> I noticed that you mention that you run Mythtv on your xbox. I have setup
> Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn and mythtv from it's repositories (
> 0.20-svn20070122-0.0ubuntu6).
> I have an Xbox running an older version of XBMC (I think 10-2006). I can
> watch all my recording's over samba but I want to take it a step further
> and
> make my xbox a frontend. My question is whether it's worth installing
> Linux
> on it and running myth-frontend on it or just going with the XBMC python
> script xboxmythtv or whatever it's called. If you have experience with
> either can you suggest which distro to go with and if you have experience
> with the second, what functions are all included? Like can I watch livetv
> thru the xboxmythtv python script? Will I just be able to use the Logitech
> wireless controller I have to control everything or do I need a keyboard
> or
> mouse with xboxmythtv python script? If there's a forum which has ton's of
> info related to this I would appreciate it's link. I have looked thru the
> Sourcefourge forum for xboxmythtv python script but it's seems like no one
> is really playing around with the xbmc mythtv python script anymore? Is
> that
> where I get the script from or is there a better source for downloading
> the
> actual xbmc python script for mythtv? Thank you if you can answer these
> questions.
>
> Daniel

Is it not possible to create a directory, chroot to it and install all the
i386 packages the xbox will require and then copy the whole image across
to the xbox disk (or take the disk out, mount it and chroot to it). That
way you get desktop power but xbox packages. The MythTV sources can be
compiled the same way.

Its the way I create the stuff for my Gentoo powered diskless frontend.
The MythTV stuff I build as i686 (lowest common denominator twixt the
Athlon server CPU and Via C2 frontend CPU) but all the dependancies I just
install what is appropriate within the chroot environment.

With ccache, a make distclean and remake of SVN trunk only takes a few
minutes (after the first time to build the cache).

--
Robin Gilks