[mythtv-users] ATI vs NVidia card conclusion

Michelle Dupuis support at ocg.ca
Tue Jul 3 00:34:39 UTC 2007

I have to admit I did not do my homework before buying the ATI card (I just
took the marketing hype at face value).  And as Martin points out, I'm sure
someone will poke their head up saying that Nvidia cards suck.  (Too many
combinations of chipsets etc. to guarantee anything).

This was not supposed to be a definitive statement about ATI vs Nvidia - but
rather summarize the results of my quest.  If I were going the Windows route
then ATI would have been fine (the hardware is great).  However, the
diversity of hardware, kernels and distros means that a Linux friendly
vendor has to seriously invest in driver development (not that "recent
kernel, top two distros only" approach).

I'm sure the situation will improve over the next 8 years...but for those
buying a graphics card now, you got my 2c worth.

-MD-