[mythtv-users] Downscaling HD Content on 480i

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Jul 2 18:48:02 UTC 2007

Brian Steele wrote:
> On 7/2/07, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>> I think the easier answer is to continue doing what I'm doing right now: for
>> any show I want that's in HD, I also do a second recording in SD. All the HD
>> content I have available are the local OTA channels. All of their content is
>> duplicated on a second SD channel.
>>
>> I just thought that with enough CPU horsepower Myth should be able to do this
>> scaling on the fly thus allowing me to record only one show.
>
> I think your problem might be using the PVR-350 for output.  I was
> able to do exactly what you are trying to do without any transcoding
> or separate recording using a Nvidia 5200 s-video output.
>
> Are you getting any errors from mythfrontend when you are seeing the
> blue screen?

I kinda suspect the PVR-350 too. I'll have to try playing the recordings again
and see what pops up in the logs. My last attempts are buried too deep right now.

I *do* have plans on replacing the PVR-350 with a more powerful Nvidia
frontend. the one I've got running now is using a 6200. However, that card
doesn't have S-Video. Is there an xorg.conf setting to turn on S-video out on
your 5200?