[mythtv-users] playback is smooth, yet lacking... seems like smootly missing frames

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Jan 31 21:50:58 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 14:18, Bill wrote:
> Sorry if this is obvious.  I am not sure what to even stfw on for something
> like this.  I've tried, but nothing seems to match what I would describe
> this as...
>
> I have a 2.4ghz P4, running a pvr500, pvr350.  Output is from an nvidia
> fx5200 (AGP 4x) via DVI-D to an LCD TV (westinghouse).  I am outputting at
> 1080p.
> But, it seems a little "off".  If I had to describe it, I would say that
> something is very smoothly and evenly dropping frames.  Not the kind of
> dropping where a whole handful goes away, and its noticable, but more the
> movements of the people on the screen just get a bit jerky... but not
> terribly so.

I see the same effect on my system, which is a 3.06GHz Celeron D running
Ubuntu with output to an NTSC TV via either an nVidia MX4000 card or a SiS
Xabre 200 card. (I've been swapping video cards because of interference with
the QAM reception on a pcHDTV 3000 card, but I've not quite nailed that
problem down.) The problem seems worst with MPEG-2 sources, and possibly a
little worse with the nVidia card than with the SiS card.

There's another thread on what may be the same problem playing back DVDs;
here's the gossamer-threads URL:

The last post to that thread indicates that the problem went away after
compiling from source rather than using the Ubuntu binaries. I'm currently
running the Ubuntu binaries, so I may just try compiling MythTV from source.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com