[mythtv-users] HVR-1300 Mpeg decoder problems

Neil Crane neilcrane at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 17:07:20 UTC 2007

I've just bought a WinTV HVR-1300 card (cx88 based). While I can get
each element (analogue TV, DVB, MPEG encoder) working outside of
MythTV, I'm having a problem with the encoder (which uses the
cx88-blackbird module).

Basically, if I 'cat /dev/video1 > test.mpg' for a few seconds, and
view the result in mplayer, it works; however, if I set it up as a
MPEG-2 device in Myth, whilst I can tune it (both with mythtv-setup
and scantv), and get channels, I just get a black screen /
unresponsive mythfrontend when I try to view it. There is an
accompanying console message regarding an 'invalid file (fd -1)'.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Neil