[mythtv-users] Diskless

David Muench davemuench at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 18:06:04 UTC 2007

On 1/30/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
> I'd be interested to hear about people's experiences with MythTV and a
> diskless frontend to see if it would be a viable configuration or if it
> is just a pipe dream..

I haven't read the wiki page in question, but I have been running a
diskless mythtv system for a bit over 2 years now. My backend is in
the basement with the directv boxes and I have two frontends (ASUS
Pundits) that boot Ubuntu 6.06 via PXE and nfs root. Ubuntu 6.06 made
this extremely easy - I started with an older version of Gentoo and
had to do a lot of hacking to get it going. Now with 6.06 I just
needed to edit the config file for mkinitramfs to specify a net boot,
and I was off and running. I run no swap on my frontends (256 meg of
ram) and the NFS share is read only allowing me to support multiple
frontends off of one common NFS share. Update the share and all the
frontends automatically inherit the new changes. That has required
some tweaking, but not too much. On the frontends, /tmp is a tmpfs
filesystem and things that have to be writable are symlinked into
there. That was just trial and error working issues out one after
another.

I'm extremely happy and have no performance issues.. The network they
run over is 100mbit switched.

Dave

David Muench - davemuench at gmail.com
Jabber/Google Talk: davemuench at gmail.com