[mythtv-users] HD Woes

Joel Turner jturner421 at aol.com
Mon Jan 29 20:35:50 UTC 2007

nate at crosno.net wrote:

>Steven Adeff wrote:
>

>>try the ModePool
>>"1920x1080_60i"
>>which will output the 1080i standard modeline that all 1080i capable
>>tv's should be able to receive. Also make sure you have a GPU that
>>supports interlaced output.
>>

>I tried the following settings in xorg.conf this morning to no avail.  X
>rejected that mode saying it was not valid ....
>
>(WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "1920x1080_60i"; removing.
>(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
>(II) NVIDIA(0):     "1280x720_60"
>(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1280 x 720
>(==) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (75, 75); computed from built-in default
>(--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
>
>Here is the xorg.conf:
>
>Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         #HorizSync    28.0 - 96.0
>         #VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
>         HorizSync     15.0 - 46.0
>         VertRefresh   59.0 - 61.0
>EndSection
>
>Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Card0"
>         Driver      "nvidia"
>         Option      "NoLogo" "true"
>         Option      "coolbits" "1"
>         Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
>         VendorName  "All"
>         BoardName   "All"
>         Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
>         Option "NvAgp" "0"
>         Option "UseEvents" "True"
>         Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
>         Option      "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"
>         Option      "FlatPanelProperties"   "Scaling = native"
>         Option      "IgnoreDisplayDevices"  "TV, CRT"
>         Option      "ExactModeTimingsDVI"   "1"
>         Option      "UseEDIDDpi"     "0"
>         Option      "UseEDIDFreqs"     "0"
>EndSection
>
>Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Screen0"
>         Device  "Card0"
>         Monitor "Monitor0"
>         DefaultColorDepth 24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Depth   24
>                 Modes  "1920x1080_60i" "1280x720_60"
>         EndSubSection
>EndSection

I'm at work now but I wrestled with this for several weeks.  I used
Powerstrip to find out the timings my plasma would accept and verified
by setting my Windows box to that resolution.  I then used specific
commands which I do not recall at the moment but are outlined in the
nVidia documentation to ignore edid from X and to run at the specific
resolution I sent it via the modeline generated by Powerstrip. I'll try
and dig up my xorg.conf file later as you'll need to add them to your
device section.