[mythtv-users] Please shut up!

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 20:10:17 UTC 2007

On 1/29/07, devsk <funtoos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think fundamental reason for so much traffic is that there is no official
> good forum based central place for people to go to get some help. I can see
> if there was an official forum on mythtv.org,
<snip>

Please, PLEASE, let's not start this again.  It's been discussed
multiple times in the past.  The short of it is: mailinglists are
better for devs, and devs wouldn't frequent  forums.  So, Forums would
be the 'blind leading the blind'... or 'partially sighted' leading the
blind'.

> There is not-so-well-visited (compared to mythtv-users list, in terms of
> number of messages per day) forum about mythtv at http://www.mythtvtalk.com
> , but not official. Maybe a link to mythtvtalk.com is what needs to be put
> along with the mailing list info on the front page of mythtv. Or may be, we
> should have a forum at mythtv.org.
>
> -devsk

I know people like forums. Heck, I'm one of them.  But, the devs have
said 'no official forums'.  If a link were put on the mythtv.org site,
it would lead people to believe that they can get answers there (from
devs), but devs don't use forums.

Giving the link to mythtvtalk was a good idea, but let's please leave
it at that. We don't want yet _another_ long-winded thread about
forums vs. maillinglists.  It's been done, and done to death.

--Phill W