[mythtv-users] HD Woes

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Mon Jan 29 19:25:26 UTC 2007

Mark Lehrer wrote:
>> AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Venice 2.2GHz Socket 939
>> JetWay J939GT3-PTD Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX
>
> FWIW, I went with an Asus A8N-VM CSM board (Socket 939, DVI, S/PDIF).

Same board in my frontend.

> Also, IMO you simply cannot get away with a single core CPU and hi
> def.

Uh... I've been running a single core cpu in my HDTV-playback-capable
frontends for like 3 years now... My Athlon 64 3500 is at most 40% busy
playing back 1080i HDTV content, 30% on 720p HDTV content.

> It may sorta work, but for example, if you have a recording
> and a playback and a commflag process going at the same time you are
> hosed!  Also, myth and X are both quite busy, so dual core helps a lot.
> I have an x2 3800 and it rocks.

I suppose it might be worth making the distinction here between
frontend-only and frontend/backend in one systems. For frontend-only,
dual-core isn't going to buy you a whole lot if everything is properly
set up. A plus for all-in-one systems though.

> I wasted a LOT of free time in the year before I got an x2 3800.
> Dual core solved a lot of problems for me, I highly recommend it.

I prefer quad-core... :)

# grep "model name" /proc/cpuinfo
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU           @ 2.66GHz
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU           @ 2.66GHz