[mythtv-users] HD Woes

Nate Crosno nate at crosno.net
Mon Jan 29 19:16:15 UTC 2007

Joel Turner wrote:
> nate at crosno.net wrote:
>

>>> Also, IMO you simply cannot get away with a single core CPU and hi
>>> def.  It may sorta work, but for example, if you have a recording
>>> and a playback and a commflag process going at the same time you are
>>> hosed!  Also, myth and X are both quite busy, so dual core helps a lot.
>>> I have an x2 3800 and it rocks.
>>>

> I must be lucky then.  I have an AMD 3500+ that runs at 1080i.  I rarely
> hit 75% on my CPU and do not suffer from any stutters on playback. I
> found that the key for me was:
>
> 1)  Find the proper modeline for your LCD or plasma.  It makes a huge
> difference in playback and CPU usage
> 2) Switch to a lightweight window manager.
>
> Prior to my reinstall several months back I was running Ubuntu Breezy
> with a full blown Gnome install.  Had all sorts of problems with HD
> material.  I reinstalled using the server install for Dapper and
> installed Ratpoison as my window manager.  I compiled from source and my
> system has been rock solid for months.  Prior to that, it was hit or miss.

Are you running a 1080i modeline when playing back 1080i content?

I'm running blackbox for the windows manager.  Watching 'top' with
"-d0.5", I don't see anything else taking up any notable CPU cycles.  My
TV is a Sony LCD rear projection (I think the model is KF-50XBR800) and
is native 720p, but seems to have a pretty good built-in scaler and
deinterlacer. On our old HD Dishnetwork box, I got better results by
setting it to output at 1080i over the component cables (never tried the
DVI with it).  I've searched and searched, but have not been able to
find modelines for 1080i over DVI that my TV will take.