[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HVR-950 & "NVP: prebuffering pause"

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 29 16:49:43 UTC 2007

On 29 Jan 2007, at 03:29, Wes Allen wrote:

> I've done some searching, but I haven't found anything in
> particular to help me so far.
> I just picked up a Hauppauge HVR-950 to play around with hd and
> mythtv on my laptop.  I finally got the unit displaying tv, but
> when I get an hd signal I get the following error over and over again:
>
> 2007-01-28 21:49:25.727 NVP: prebuffering pause
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this (and a
> solution) - and what other information can I provide that would
> help folks diagnose the problem.
>
> (On a side-note, I've got mythTV set up on a box connected to my tv
> and it works WONDERFULLY).

What is the specification of your laptop?

As I've understood comments on the list "prebuffering pauses" may be
associated with performance load. HD requires quite a bit of
horsepower for playback. Can you run `top` in a terminal window
whilst reproducing these symptoms?

The phrase "NVP: prebuffering pause" turns up quite a number of
results at Gossamer. Perhaps you could make reference to some of
these (eg: "I don't have the symptoms mentioned in this post, and I'm
using different hardware from the poster in that post") when your
update us?
http://tinyurl.com/2ddgs8

Stroller.

PS: could I ask you to choose more helpful subject lines in future,
please?