[mythtv-users] (was) MythTV vs Media Center

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jan 28 13:48:07 UTC 2007

On Jan 28, 2007, at 12:52 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> True enough I guess. I should have said everyone here should
>> *consider* joining the EFF and at least be aware of them.
>>
>> Any legal system that attempts to make criminals (or at least civil
>> violators) out of folks just wanting to watch a paid-for DVD has
>> problems.
>>

> Yeah.  I think that came across as a bit too harsh.  I fully
> support the
> EFF's goals, and it does seem like their track record is improving
> lately.

The EFF is as aware as anyone of the risk of losing a case and
setting a "bad" precedent. Believe me they agonize over such
possibilities.

They have to weigh the good and the bad. Their primary purpose is to
make people aware of what they consider to be unjust laws. The
citizenry is unlikely to lobby their representatives for change
unless they are aware of the problems.

No organization is totally good or bad (with perhaps a few
exceptions) but on balance I think the world is better off for the
EFF existing.

</soapbox>