[mythtv-users] nVidia PCI 5200 -> PCIx 6200 TC - Holy Cow!

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sun Jan 28 03:32:17 UTC 2007

Bill Williamson wrote:
> On 1/26/07, Trey Thompson <treythompson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My MB only has two PCI slots, and wanting to add another tuner, I went
>> today and got a PCI Express card with the nVidia 6200 TC chipset on
>> it.  Didn't do anything with any drivers.  Plugged into the sVideo
>> port with the same cable to my TV and everything.  BOOM!  Much
>> brighter picture, fits on the screen much better than the 5200, and
>> colors are clearer/crisper.
>>

> Is the TC different from a normal 6200?
TC stands for "Turbo Cache".  Turbo Cache supposedly reduces the need
for a lot of on-board memory.  I've read in some places, though, that
the 6200TC is supposed to be a lesser card than the straight-up 6200
(according to the benchmarks I have seen).  Not sure if that truly has
any relevance with the way the card is used under MythTV, though..

The nVidia PR definition:
NVIDIA TurboCache technology - Shares the capacity and bandwidth of
dedicated video memory and dynamically available system memory for turbo
charged performance and larger total graphics memory.

-Rich