[mythtv-users] AACS Cracked Already

Calin Brabandt cbrabandt at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 22:04:25 UTC 2007

>From what I understand it hasn't. What has happened
>was they managed to pull the keys out of memory while
>using one of the legal playback software. Apparently
>some of the keys don't require to be encrypted in
>memory by the standard, so they aren't, and they are
>enough to get working playback/rip.

Although the encryption wasn't cracked, the AACS
system, which also addresses issues of player and
drive security, most definitely was cracked!  In
summary, the operation of a player was cracked.  It's
doubtful the strong encryption used by AACS will ever
be cracked.

Keys must be stored somewhere, in the clear, for at
least a short period of time to decrypt a block of
data.  It's the same vulnerability used in the first
CSS attacks and also the attacks on iTunes audio
media.

-Cal