[mythtv-users] Plextor Convertx

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jan 27 02:02:37 UTC 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 6:43 PM, tbaca at heritagewifi.com wrote:

> I have done some searching and I see some people have luck
> installing the
> Plextor Convertx and a few other do not.  I fall into the latter.
>
> I am using Suse 10.1  I downloaded the drivers for the Plextor,
> make went
> okay as did the install.
>
> Neither cold plug or hot pluging seems to work.  I even tried to
> isntall
> manually.  Here is the output of dsmeg:

<snip>

Looks like your SuSE version of the kernel doesn't like the version
of the go7007 driver that you compiled.

I used a Plextor a long time ago on a KnoppMyth system and a MythDora
system and it worked fine, within the limitations of Myth support
(ie: only the "MPEG-4" mode was supported).

I know there were some different versions of the driver for various
kernels, but I'm not sure of the details.

I also know the gentleman who wrote the driver reads, or at least
used to read, this list. Perhaps he will jump in and supply further
info?

If this is a dedicated Myth box I'd give serious consideration to
using a different Linux Distro. Nothing wrong with SuSE and perhaps
some of its users can help, but it is not one of the more popular
distros for Myth, but you may have reasons for wanting to use it
other than Myth.