[mythtv-users] Quiet CPU Cooler Recommendations

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Jan 27 01:06:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 05:50:01PM -0500, Rich West wrote:
> Kirk Bocek wrote:
> > I need to build a new front-end only box for the bedroom that needs to be dead
> > silent. I can figure out everything but the CPU/Cooler.
> >
> > Is there a CPU out there that's powerful enough to playback HD where the
> > cooler is dead silent? It doesn't need to *record* HD or do transcoding --
> > I'll do that elsewhere.
>
> I hate to state what might be obvious, but, for a frontend-only system,
> you don't need to keep the machine on all of the time.  Just turn it off
> when you go to bed.

	It's not about that. A bedroom system is going to be operated when
the house is dead quiet and you likely have the volume on the TV down low
so as to not disturb the rest of the household or possibly even the other
bedmate. At night, case noise is a MUCH bigger problem then the middle of
the day.

	I shut this here laptop off sometimes at night when the boy is
asleep and we're watching recordings or something from the virtual DVD
jukebox. The sound of the fan and drive in this machine is just plain
annoying late at night when the overall noise level of the house is
nearly zero.