[mythtv-users] 5200 or 6200

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Jan 26 20:57:21 UTC 2007

Rich West wrote:

>>> Grr.. Just got two of them from Newegg (the advantage of being near to a
>>> distribution center).  Apparently, the thing missing from the reviews is
>>> that these cards suck.  One was fine when connected via component to my
>>> RP TV, but the other had awful ghosting when plugged in via VGA to our
>>> 32" LCD TV.  Curious, I tested both cards, one after the other,
>>> connected via VGA to the LCD TV, and they both exhibited the same
>>> ghosting problem.
>>>
>>> I have one XFX 6200 (VGA/DVI/S-Video) in my other FE, so I yanked that
>>> and put it in this FE to test against the LCD TV, and the picture
>>> quality was crisp and clean.
>>>
>>> I can understand one bad card.. but TWO?  Guess I got what I paid for..
>>> :(  Well, hopefully Newegg will treat me well and allow for an easy return.
>>>
>>> -Rich
>> You are not using a VGA extension cable are you?
>> If you are, try it without.
>>

> VGA extension cable?  Well, the 37" LCD TV just has a VGA in port as
> does the video card, and I am using a VGA cable between the two.  It
> works great with my XFX 6200 (fanless) with the same cabling.  It ghosts
> like crazy with the Leadtek A6200 (fanless).
>
> Got an RMA from newegg with little questions asked.  Newegg rocks.

I did a couple of final tests before sending the cards back.  And, no,
not an extension cable.

The card worked fine when connected via VGA to my 19" LCD monitor.  The
card also worked fine when connected to my RP TV via component.  The
card was gave horrible ghosting on my 37" LCD TV via VGA.  One person
suggested that it might be the cable that I was using between the
computer and the TV.  Since it worked fine with the previous card, I was
a bit skeptical, but, hey, I figured I would test it.  I replaced the
cable with a brand new one from Radio Shack, and the card & TV wouldn't
even sync at 1280x1024 (it sync'ed fine at lower resolutions).

Now, depending on how you use the card (what TV it gets plugged in to),
it may work well for you.  It just didn't play at all with my TV...

-Rich