[mythtv-users] Computer case recoomendations

Duane Griffin duaneg at dghda.com
Fri Jan 26 17:59:59 UTC 2007

On 26/01/07, Robert Seaton <bobs at itproscorp.com> wrote:
> I think I have narrowed my search down to either the Antec fusion, or
> the Silverstone LC16M. The LC16M has more features, and has an
> integrated IR receiver which in my opinion is a major plus. It also has
> buttons for manual operation. I'm just wondering since this case seems
> to be built for MCE, how hard it would be to get all of these extra
> features working on Linux. The Antec fusion has a much better design,
> however I would have to hack it in order to integrate the IR receiver.
> Any opinions here from anyone? Input would be grateful.

I used the LC16M for my combined BE/FE setup. I needed plenty of PCI
slots and also wanted space for adding extra hard-drives, so a full
ATX case was the best option. Overall I'm very happy with it, and it
certainly looks very nice. However there are a few issues you should
be aware of:
 * The integrated IR receiver seems to be quite non-standard. I've not
managed to get the central "cursor" keys on the remote working, which
makes it rather hard to use. It doesn't seem to work with other
remotes at all.
 * The keys on the case are easily handled but so far I've not managed
to get the knob working.
 * The optical drive door looks nice but it makes a loud and rather
hideous scraping sound when opening and closing.
 * It uses 3-4 USB ports internally and has 3 front USB ports, so if
you want them all to work you will need plenty of USB headers.
 * It is fairly big (and heavy), so do check it will fit OK.

I suspect my problems with the remote are fixable. It seems to work
fine for others so probably it is something stupid I'm doing there.

"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan