[mythtv-users] Quiet CPU Cooler Recommendations

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 26 17:49:06 UTC 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> I need to build a new front-end only box for the bedroom that needs
> to be dead
> silent. I can figure out everything but the CPU/Cooler.
>
> Is there a CPU out there that's powerful enough to playback HD
> where the
> cooler is dead silent? It doesn't need to *record* HD or do
> transcoding --
> I'll do that elsewhere.

Recording HD takes virtually no CPU, you're just moving an MPEG
stream to your drive. Transcoding can take some CPU, but if you're
not in a hurry it doesn't have to, unless you're trying to do it in
real time.

Playing back HD can take a lot of CPU, unless you can get some help
from the GPU, and that's really just moving the load.

De-Interlace can take some CPU as well.

Have a look at:

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/silentcpu.html

They have "quiet" (not necessarily "silent") coolers for just about
any CPU.