[mythtv-users] Mobile Video Player Recommendations (MPEG4)

Jeff volckaert jvolckaert at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 15:16:00 UTC 2007

> Sounds interesting. The truth is these little devices are fun to play
> with but I have found that I really don't want to watch a video on a
> tiny screen when away from home - a book is more entertaining and
> doesn't have the battery life problems of a video player :-)

While I agree about the book part (when IS the next Harry Potter?)...
I have to somewhat disagree about the tiny screen.  The Video Ipod
screen is still a little small, but a 3.8" PDA screen is a different
story.  When you are watching it from a foot away it is about the size
of a regular TV screen across the room.  A good transcode with good
audio is a joy to watch on the PDA.  I used to use 200K bitrate, but
once I got bigger CF and SD cards I bumped it up to 300K.  It made a
big difference.

In the summer, I would rather watch a show on my PDA, in the evening,
sitting in a rocking chair on the porch than watching regular TV in
the living room.  Unless it's raining of course.  :-)

I'm sure some people would disagree, but I would just like to say "Try
it".  A small screen doesn't equal a bad viewing experience.

Jeff