[mythtv-users] Best Ubuntu guide?

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.com
Fri Jan 26 14:21:34 UTC 2007

> I can't offer any comparisons; however, I can comment on the following guide:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV
>
> This guide is reasonably thorough, in the sense that it takes you through
> everything from downloading the Ubuntu install CD-R images to configuring
> MythTV's capture cards. On the downside, I found that the guide was
> inaccurate or confusing at a few key points; for instance, some steps relied
> on software being installed that wasn't installed until later. As I'm
> well-versed in Linux, I was able to "fill in the gaps," as it were, so these
> problems weren't major ones for me. For a Linux newbie, though, the result
> could be extreme frustration, since things won't work as the guide says they
> will, and the solution may not be obvious. (Unfortunately, I don't recall
> exactly which steps were "off" in this way, although I believe X installation
> was one of them.)

Thats interesting to hear Rod. Thanks for the warning as that was
definately one of the guides I was going to print off.
I may still get away with it as I know my way around computers
generally, just new to Linux. If there's an ABC step in the wrong place
I'd hope to be able to see it, but if a command is miss spelt or
something then I don't stand a chance.

Damian