[mythtv-users] Myth gui offset problem

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Fri Jan 26 04:31:42 UTC 2007

Calvin Harrigan wrote:

>                1280
> ---------------------------------
> |  X background                 |
> |                               |
> |    ---------------------------|
> |    |                          |  720
> |    |         Myth GUI         |
> |    |                          |
> ---------------------------------
>

> I'm having a bit of a problem with the mythfrontend gui and ratpoison.
> I think ratpoison might be part of the problem because without it the
> GUI is drawn properly, but I had focus issues.
>
> My xorg.conf has a 1080i modeline in it, mythtfrontend starts up and
> seems to scale fonts, themes, etc to that resolution (the max
> resolution). Myth almost immediately switches to 1280x720p because of
> the mode I have set for the gui to run in under the setup->appearance
> menu. (seperate modes per video resolution and gui).  The diagram above
> shows what I am experiencing.  Myth and/or ratpoison is drawing the gui
> on what seems to be centered on a virtual 1920 x 1080 screen.  I've
> tried adjusting the offset for gui position in the setup but that
> doesn't seem to have any effect.  It's as myth it's ignoring the
> setting.  The offsets do work if I remove the 1080 mode though.  I could
> then position the screen where I want on the screen.
>
> Is there a way to convince mythtv to scale to a preset mode (1280x720p
> in this case) other than the mode it's started in?  Is this a bug in
> ratpoison?  Anyone else experience a similar problem?  Searched the list
> and found one reference to something similar.  It was suggested that the
> person use xrandr to set the resolution to what was needed before
> starting mythfrontend.  That doesn't seem to work for me either.
>
> Calvin...

ratpoison could be the problem. I just started looking into the details
of ratpoison, because a MiniMyth user said that the GUI offsets did not
work when the MiniMyth's X window manager (which is ratpoison) is
enabled. Here is what I have discovered.

According to the documentation, ratpoison is designed for keyboard
driven navigation. in order to facilitate this, it automatically
repositions and resizes windows so that the user will not need to resize
and reposition the windows using a mouse. The window's gravity setting
is used to determine the position. If the window has no gravity setting,
then a default gravity is used. By default, maximized windows (the GUI
is a maximized window) use CenterGravity. Therefore, the GUI is centered.

For MiniMyth, I have created a little patch for ratpoison 1.4.1 that
works around this issue. It adds the X11 gravity type StaticGravity.
When StaticGravity is used, the window offsets are used to position the
window relative to the ratpoision frame that contains the window rather
than being ignored.

I have attached that patch. Be warned, I have not tested the patch very
much.

For the patch to do anything, you will need to set the default gravity
settings to 'static' in your ratpoisonrc file. That is, you will need to add

set wingravity static
set transgravity static
set maxsizegravity static

to your ratpoisionrc file.