[mythtv-users] Audio configuration question (hardware)

Justin Luitjens luitjens at cs.utah.edu
Fri Jan 26 03:59:50 UTC 2007

I am trying to get digital audio on my system at home but i'm unsure of
the best way to go about it.  My Tv is connected to my computer over VGA
connector and a stereo analog audio connection.  Unfortunately the
manual says the HDMI/DVI inputs do not support PC input.  The TV is a
Samsung LN-S4092D.  I also have a Panasonic home theater system which is
fairly old but is capable of 5.1 surround sound (only has RCA inputs).
Right now I route the audio through the TV and then into the home
theater system.  My PC has both coaxial S/PDIF and optical S/PDIF
output.  I would like to somehow use my 5.1 surround sound speakers
provided by my home theater system but am unsure of what hardware I need
to do this.  Is my best option to buy a 5.1 receiver and replace my home
theater system with it?  Or are there other ways I could get 5.1 audio?

Thanks