[mythtv-users] Wireless?

Theng Kiat Ng treblid at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 03:34:32 UTC 2007

On 1/25/07, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> "3rd party" is a little unfair on madwifi. madwifi is FOSS code - do you
> know of some reason it

Your right.. I shouldn't use the term "3rd party"...  madwifi is rather good
though....

won't be included into the main kernel in the future? I appreciate that
> wireless is non-intuitive to set up, but currently you only have to compile
> the package & modprobe one module into the kernel. I know the userspace
> tools are a bit odd, but *shrugs* it's not THAT bad.

It's not really the compiling of the module that's bad.. What's bad is the
tons of options, encryption options, etc...

2) USB needs ndiswrapper (and windows driver).

> Now this IS a hack - I detest NDISwrapper! I'm pretty sure there are USB
> wireless NICs (based

I don't really hate NDISwrapper per'se.. Just the win drivers I have to use
it to load with.. The windows driver I have ain't that good.. I wonder if I
can use another co's driver and see if it's any better.

on the Ralink chipset) that run natively (ie: without NDISwrapper) under
> Linux.

Might have to go that option if I still can't get the USB driver to work
reliably...
For some reason, I can get wireless to work in linux... still can't get it
to work under WIndows yet, the options to get it all work is too hidden.. No
wonder many of my friends turns to Apple now for their new machines..