[mythtv-users] Can't Get Channel Icons Into Program Guide

moodyjunk at frontiernet.net moodyjunk at frontiernet.net
Fri Jan 26 03:27:11 UTC 2007

> Your icon files should be stored in:
> /home/<username>/.mythtv/channels/ (i.e. /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels
>
> Once we know how many are actually in that folder we can go from there.
>
> -------
> Josh

Thanks for your suggests.  Here is the procedure I'm using:

I generate the iconmap.xml file via mkiconmap.pl using my zipcode
(12540) and my cable provider  Comcast - Cable ( Carmel )
      cd ~
      perl /usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.20/contrib/mkiconmap.pl

Then, I clear any icons already in the database and erase any files in
~/.mythtv/channels
      mythfilldatabase --reset-icon-map all
and confirm that the 2 icons already in the EPG are indeed removed.

Lastly, I refill the database
      mythfilldatabase --import-icon-map iconmap.xml --update-icon-map
and notice that 2 icons are indeed downloaded into
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels  and do now appear in the Programming
Guide.

I tried downloading the icons manually from
http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/tvcountry/us.html into ~/.mythtv/channels,
renamed the filenames to match those in the generated iconmap.xml, but
they still don't seem to get into the EPG.

I assume the <network> tag is used by the database to associate the
filename in the <url> tag with the channel.
                 <network>dni_WABC</network>
                 <url>[dni_zap2it]/abc_affiliate.jpg</url>
Even when I manually rename a file to
~/.mythtv/channels/abc_affiliate.jpg, it doesn't make it into the
database.  Perhaps the database doesn't recognize the dni_WABC value?

Any suggestions on where I can find some good doc on the format of the
mkiconmap.pl output?