[mythtv-users] Cannot get EIT and picture data on same channel

btsglw btsglw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 19:29:53 UTC 2007

-- snipped
> > I read <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/
> > 245481#245481> that with the ivtv driver it's possible to `cat /dev/
> > video0 > test.mpg` &amp; `mplayer test.mpg`; is this possible with your
> > card?
> Not directly, no - there might be some equivalent test, but I'm honestly
> not sure. I have "/dev/dvb/adapter0/", containing "demux0", "dvr0",
> "frontend0" and "net0". These either output nothing or aren't accessible
> with a simple cat, so I assume they aren't suitable for streaming from
> directly in that way.

You can do this by first zapping to the channel you want to test (use
tzap for DVB-T or czap for DVB-C)

tzap -x -r -c /pathto/channel.conf ChannelName

-x means exit immediately after tuning, and -r means set dvr0 up for streaming.

Then you can do a

mplayer - < /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0

This will pipe the stream from dvr0 straight to mplayer (the - tells
mplayer to accept data from standard input).

I believe this is correct, I'm going from memory as I'm currently at
work. If you google for tzap I'm sure you'll find the correct params.