[mythtv-users] IDE and IDE

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 25 14:38:38 UTC 2007

Bart Coninckx wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my hardware supplier gave me by mistake an IDE harddrive instead of SATA. The
> result is that it will be an the same bus as the DVD-recorder (it's a ASUS
> Pundit with only one IDE bus).
> Will this be a big problem in using MythTV as far as performance is concerned?
> It's my understanding that two IDE devices on the same bus can slow down
> things, since the slowest device determines the busspeed.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Bart

There is somewhat of a performance hit, but most modern IDE interfaces
can assign seperate speeds per device.  There is a hit for switching
between the speeds though.  IF recording a DVD from said hard drive,
it'll work for most part.  Just don't be doing too much else, like
flagging commercials, transcoding, or recording.

Why not just exchange the drive for the one you want/need?