[mythtv-users] simultaneous analog and digital (SPDIF) audio output (SOLVED)

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jan 25 01:28:14 UTC 2007

After a lot of searching, I found a way to get Myth's audio output to go to
both the SPDIF and analog outputs simultaneously suggested on the knoppmyth
wiki (although I'm not using knoppmyth).  With that working, I can choose
between listening through the TV or the Stereo system by just muting one or the
other.  I have noticed a slight time lag between the two, just enough to be
annoying to have both on at once.

I'm attaching my .asoundrc file; just copy it to the home directory of whatever
user runs mythfrontend as .asoundrc, and then configure myth to use ALSA:multi
for sound output, and ALSA:digital for AC3 passthrough.  This works with my
(on-motherboard) sound hardware, reported by lspci as

    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
(ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

The .asoundrc file may need modification for other hardware, but I'm posting it
in the hope it will be useful to someone.

Peter Schachte              One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        breakdown is the belief that one's work is
www.cs.mu.oz.au/~schachte/  terribly important.
Phone: +61 3 8344 1338          -- Bertrand Russell