[mythtv-users] Mythbackend Segfault on Delete SOLVED!!

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jan 24 21:37:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 05:00:06PM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
> Hi Axel (et al):  I'm never quite sure just where the line is drawn in
> this partial upgrading issue.  I guess I used to do it - cautiously -
> before broadband when full upgrading wasn't usually feasible.
>
> But now how does it relate to having several repos enabled?  I had a bad
> weekend when I did a kde upgrade of my mainly atrpms system from
> kde-redhat and then couldn't do any kind of graphic-mode login. I
> thought your retribution had struck.

There is no retribution for using kde-redhat. :)

> It's working fine now after posts on the kde-redhat list showed it
> was a packaging problem and gave a fix, but _ought_ full upgrades to
> work if several repos from atrps-medley are all enabled?

Well, these are two issues: For one you hit some bug in some package
from kde-redhat, every repo can have a packaging bug, and once you
enable even a part of it your are exposed to it. My argument is that
hiding away part of a repo generates more bugs than you would possibly
avoid.

The other issue is whether enabling all repos in atrpms' medley config
package would be safe etc. Well, I cannot guarantee that, as all repos
but ATrpms in that medley are out of my control. But the repos are
mostly cooperating and willing to fix any discovered issue. Note that
medley-package-config may ship all known repos, but they have to be
enabled by the user, so I'm cowardly delegating all reponsibility to
the user ;)

> This should really be a question on atrpms-users, I suppose, but it's
> obviously relevant for mythtv users too.

Not sure if it's really on-topic even for atrpms-users,
medley-package-config isn't really about ATrpms, it is a convenience
package for looking into non-ATrpms packages.

But for pure mythtv users it is irrelevant, since all bits mythtv
requires are in ATrpms (or Fedora Core/Extras or RHEL).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net