[mythtv-users] Upgrade Options for $150

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 24 17:51:53 UTC 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 10:42 AM, Nate Crosno wrote:

> Well, I've placed my order.  After searching around for several
> hours on
> various sites, I'm still going with the Jetway board because it was
> the
> only 939 board I could find with DVI out, plus it has component out,
> which I'd like to try. It also had the nvidia chipsets.  After
> reviewing
> some processor performance charts (with a grain of salt), I opted
> for an
> Athlon 64 3400 at 2.2Ghz and a cheap heatsink/fan combo.  According
> to a
> cpu chart that tested transcoding a DVD, it looks like that will be
> about a 10% bump in performance over the 3200 I listed before. The
> damage came to $137 out the door.
>
> AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Venice 2.2GHz Socket 939
>     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103023
> JetWay J939GT3-PTD Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX
>     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813153047

You should be OK. From what Alex said it looks like I'm not the only
one who has had problems with VIA chipsets, but the nForce chipset on
that Jetway mobo should be OK.

I'm sure you are aware that by using two identical DIMMs you will get
the dual-path RAM interface. You can use a single DIMM but that will
only get you 64-bit access.

That's the main difference between the 754 and 939 AMD CPUs, the 939
has the dual memory controllers.

But Myth is not all that RAM intensive anyway.