[mythtv-users] 5200 or 6200

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 24 05:29:53 UTC 2007

On 23 Jan 2007, at 21:07, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> Jarod, I somehow got the impression when reading your HD guide and
> others,
> that 1080i and 1080p are *not* the same thing as vertical
> resolution on a PC.

1080i is 1920 × 1080 with every other horizontal line being updated
each refresh. Under 1080p _every_ line is updated each hz, so twice
as many pixels must be pushed (but the image won't look twice as
good, as I understand it; I guess it may even be indistinguishable to
many people, even if you have 1080p content).

> Most of the HD screens I've looked at top out the vertical PC
> resolution
> they'll accept at 768. I'm wondering if I can play 1080i/p
> programming if I
> have a MythTV box hooked up at this resolution.

You can play 1080i/p programming on an 800 x 600 monitor, it just
depends where the scaling is done.

Many HD panels which are 720 pixels high do accept 1080i/p signals
and scale them to fit the screen accordingly. If the panel of my
screen was only 720 pixels high I would be inclined to set my
graphics card to output at 720, however.

You'll pay quite a lot for a name brand TV with more than 720 pixels,
but if you're feeding the image from a Myth box then there's no need
to use the TV's internal scaler. The internal scaler is the expensive
part, and can make a terrific difference if you're connecting an SD
source. I have read some very complementary reports reporting
excellent image quality on cheapo 1080p tellies from lesser brands
fed from a PC at 1920 × 1080; one UK example is the "Goodmans" 1080
panel, a rebranded Tatung, which is cheaper than a 720 Sony or Samsung.

Stroller.