[mythtv-users] Upgrade Options for $150

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 24 03:00:44 UTC 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 5:19 PM, Nate Crosno wrote:

> To that end, I'm looking at two possibilities:
>
> Option 1. Reuse the P4 with this MB and Video card ($104 shipped)
>     BIOSTAR P4M80-M4 Socket 478 VIA P4M800 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
>     $47 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813138262
>     Leadtek A6200TDH-128MB GeForce 6200 DDR AGP 4X/8X
>     $43 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814122222
>
> Option 2. Forgo the P4 altogether and go AMD:
>     ($133 shipped)
>     AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939
>     $59 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103535
>     JetWay J939GT3-PTD Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD
>     $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813153047
>
> Option 3.  Suggestions, anyone?
>
> I have a feeling most of you will vote for option 2 (or 3), since
> socket
> 478 and AGP are dying out.  However, I put the goal of WAF first for a
> reason!  I am hoping that if I go with option 1, then I could plug in
> the existing HD and have everything (mostly) working without having to
> reinstall the OS, Myth, lirc, etc. Bad idea? If going option 2, I
> think
> I am certain to have more down time, though I could start the build
> on a
> spare case, smaller HD, less RAM, and no tuners just to get all the
> software installed.
>
> So what do you all think?

You've done a pretty good job of analyzing the situation.

I try and stay away from VIA chipsets, especially ones of that old
vintage as they had DMA problems , especially important on Myth
systems where you need to move a lot of data around. Of course YMMV
and some people have had good luck with those chipsets, I have not.

If it were me I'd go with a socket 939 and an nForce chipset. there
are some really good deals on 939 CPUs these days, and they use the
DDR RAM that you have. The 3200 CPU might be a bit weak for HD
playback without XvMC but your CPU upgrade options will be more open.
You can get an Opteron 165 for $150 or even an FX-60 for under $400
these days.

You just have to balance initial outlay vs. upgradability vs.
performance vs. what you can get a deal on. Check out Tiger and
Compgeeks for other offers, it's sometime surprising what you can
find when you keep your eyes open.

Of course you forgot to list option 4, get a divorce and buy what you
want :-)