[mythtv-users] Upgrade Options for $150

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 02:45:40 UTC 2007

On 1/23/07, Nate Crosno <nate at crosno.net> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I'd like your collective opinions on what is the best bet for the money.
>   We just sold our old dish network equipment on ebay and I can get away
> with a little money spent on an upgrade in order to get HD playing
> smoothly.  Here is my current setup of my combined FE/BE:
> HP DC5000MT:
> P4 3.2GHz w/HT (Socket 478)
> 1.5Gigs DDR400
> 160GB IDE hard 7200RPM drive (I forget the brand)
> FX5200 PCI w/ DVI out to Sony KF50XBR800 (50" LCD Rear Projection)
> ATI HD Wonder PCI card for OTA HD
> PVR-150 for the cable channels.
> Running Gentoo and Myth .20 ebuild.
> My biggest problem seems to be the PCI video card. There is no AGP or
> PCIe on this board, and the built-in video has only VGA, but I need DVI.
> I have XvMC working great in Xine, but cannot get it to work in Myth
> (again, maybe the PCI is to blame).  I cannot get HD to play back
> smoothly in Myth.  Others seem to be getting good results on a P4 3GHz
> without XvMC.
> So, to make a long story longer, it looks like my only option is to
> upgrade the MB.  Unfortunately, options are limited for a socket 478.
> I could not find any with built-in DVI or Component out.
> Here are my goals:
> Goal 1. A happy wife, which means:
>     1a. Keeping cost under $150 (w/ tax and shipping), so I need
>         to reuse as much as possible (RAM, Hard Drive, Tuners).
>     1b. Minimal down time...I mentioned an upgrade and the response was
>         "So you'll be spending every night in front of the computer for
>         the next month?"  I'm really hoping that does not become a
>         reality.
> Goal 2. Smooth HD playback in Myth without resorting to Xine.
> To that end, I'm looking at two possibilities:
> Option 1. Reuse the P4 with this MB and Video card ($104 shipped)
>     BIOSTAR P4M80-M4 Socket 478 VIA P4M800 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
>     $47 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813138262
>     Leadtek A6200TDH-128MB GeForce 6200 DDR AGP 4X/8X
>     $43 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814122222
> Option 2. Forgo the P4 altogether and go AMD:
>     ($133 shipped)
>     AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939
>     $59 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103535
>     JetWay J939GT3-PTD Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD
>     $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813153047
> Option 3.  Suggestions, anyone?
> I have a feeling most of you will vote for option 2 (or 3), since socket
> 478 and AGP are dying out.  However, I put the goal of WAF first for a
> reason!  I am hoping that if I go with option 1, then I could plug in
> the existing HD and have everything (mostly) working without having to
> reinstall the OS, Myth, lirc, etc. Bad idea? If going option 2, I think
> I am certain to have more down time, though I could start the build on a
> [...]

Athlon64 3200+

but not a Jetway board...
ASUS M2NPV-VM Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
ABIT NF-M2 nView Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

You should be able to just move the hardware, boot up, install the
nvidia drivers and be set to go. Your most likely using a i386 or i686
kernel right now which will run fine on the Athlon64.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -