[mythtv-users] OT: Seagate Warranty support *Warning*

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 21:12:41 UTC 2007

On 1/23/07, Jeff volckaert <jvolckaert at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > All Seagate drives are 5 year warrantee, at least after 2004.  I have
> > > purchased many drives before then with 5 year warranty.  The problem is
> > > that is very difficult to prove/maintain, unless I tape a receipt to
> > > each drive installed.
> >
> I've never had to have a receipt when I RMA'd a drive.  As long as the
> serial number was still under warranty it was honored.  I don't recall
> RMAing any Seagates though.  The last few drives I bought have been
> Samsung FWIW.  The last drive I RMA'd was a Samsung 160G which didn't
> die, but had weird seek errors.  They replaced it without issue and it
> has been my main Myth video drive for at least 1.5 - 2 years just
> fine.

At work I have RMAd ~20 drives total from WD, Seagate, IBM, Maxtor and
Hitachi and in all cases I have never had to use any proof of purchase
but most of these drives had 3yr standard warrantees and the date of
manufacture was stamped right on the drive so they really could not
argue. But I guess now with all these 1 yr drives things may have
changed.

John