[mythtv-users] 5200 or 6200

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Jan 23 20:50:55 UTC 2007

Tom Lichti wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:
>
>> On 23/01/07, Damian Surr <damian at gingermagic.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Does MythTV prefer 5200 or 6200 for any reason?
>>>
>> The 5xxx series of cards do not have the black and white OSD problems
>> that the 6xxx and 7xxx series cards have, due to a change in the way
>> chroma-keying is handled (see
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC#Greyscale_OSD_.28NVidia_4_.26_5.29
>> for more infor).
>>
>> A 5200 card with 128MB, TV-out and DVI would be my choice - many US
>> users use the 5200 for HDTV output in addition to SDTV, using the XvMC
>> support in the nVidia driver. There's no benefit in getting 256MB
>> unless you are also going to use the machine for heavy gaming. OpenGL
>> support allows you also to use the new OpenGL-enabled menus in the
>> frontend.
>>

> I had a 5200, but moved to a 6200 because it came with a component out
> dongle, which works much better than the setup I had before. No issues
> with the 5200 though, just didn't have component out. I have the 5200 in
> another frontend now.

I am so glad someone else asked this question.  I cobbled together the
video cards on two of my FE's
by stealing a fan-driven 5200 from my kids machine and the fan-driven
PNY 6200 (with component out) from my machine.

Now that the machines are all up and we're pretty much completely
switched over to a whole-house MythTV setup, I was looking in to getting
all fanless cards.  Alas, I got stuck in the same position of "which
should I get?  The 5200 or 6200?"

I've noticed that the 5200's are much harder to find now-a-days.
Fanless 6200's aren't all that difficult to find, but tend to run about
50% more in price than 5200's.  Also, finding an affordable fanless 6200
agp with component out has so far been next to impossible. :(

And, yes, I have seen the black-n-white problem with the 6200 when using
XvMC.  I haven't gotten around to trying XvMC again since then, though..

-Rich