[mythtv-users] 5200 or 6200

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.com
Tue Jan 23 19:23:46 UTC 2007

My shopping list is about ready! :-)

I just found this graphics card on the website of a store that's quite
near me.
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?nov-gf6225&P=0

Would this GeForce 6200 256Mb be significantly better than these 5200's?
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=24653937136&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=116327&spec_type=ZXh0ZW5kZWQ=
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=24653952317&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=54837&spec_type=ZXh0ZW5kZWQ=
or this 6200
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=24653970678&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=104734&spec_type=ZXh0ZW5kZWQ=

It's a jump in price, but no postage or waiting if I drive out there to
pick up. I believe ebuyer deliver free if you don't mind waiting though,
so I should maybe get one of those. Just wondering if I'd notice any
performance boost from Myth? I believe there's a theme or something with
Myth with Open GL effects isn't there?

Would there be much difference with games? (not that I expect to play
much so I shouldn't really buy for that)
Does MythTV prefer 5200 or 6200 for any reason?

The rest of my system is quite low spec (AMD Athlon 1.2Gb + 512 memory),
so it may be that it's pointless putting the better card in there.

To complete the picture, I plan to run MythTV on Ubuntu with output to a
Monitor and an old TV initially and using a Monitor and a Projector soon.

Hope that's enough information. I'm nearly at the point that I can stop
asking about hardware. Although I bet once it's all plugged in is when
the questions will really start!

Damian